Thursday 17 May 2007

Songs of Innocence and Experience

A request from Dan.

Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience are two poem or collections by William Blake, the 38th greatest Briton. For now, let's try comparing and contrasting the Introductions.

Songs of Innocence: Introduction

Piping down the valleys wild,
Piping songs of pleasant glee,
On a cloud I saw a child,
And he laughing said to me:

‘Pipe a song about a Lamb!’
So I piped with merry cheer.
‘Piper, pipe that song again.’
So I piped: he wept to hear.‘

Drop thy pipe, thy happy pipe;
Sing thy songs of happy cheer:’
So I sung the same again,
While he wept with joy to hear.

‘Piper, sit thee down and write
In a book, that all may read.’
So he vanish'd from my sight;
And I pluck'd a hollow reed,

And I made a rural pen,
And I stained the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.


Songs of Experience: Introduction

Hear the voice of the Bard!
Who Present, Past, & Future sees
Whose ears have heard
The Holy Word,
That walk'd among the ancient trees.

Calling the lapsed Soul
And weeping in the evening dew;
That might controll.
The starry pole;
And fallen fallen light renew!

O Earth O Earth return!
Arise from out the dewy grass;
Night is worn,
And the morn
Rises from the slumbrous mass.

Turn away no more:
Why wilt thou turn away
The starry floor
The watery shore
Is given thee till the break of day.


What do we think of the rhyme and metrical schemes? What types of sound are prevalent in each poem? Is the imagery different? Note the personal agent in each case: In 'Innocence', the poet is responding to the insistence of a child. In 'Experience' he's declaiming to others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, the first one seems fairly straightforward, not much more than it seems to be at first glance. Happy, regular, springing along, etc.

The second one interests me more, probably because I don't even begin to understand it. Is it packed full of biblical references?

I might well be able to get into these two (beyond the introductions), although I suspect it will involve having to read a lot.

Edward the Bonobo said...

Yup - just like being a mathemetician involves looking at tricky equations. ;-)

No pain, no gain!

Edward the Bonobo said...

Hmm...not much going on in the first one? Did you spot this word?

And I stained the water clear

Does this maybe hint at where the poet's going to go from here?

Anonymous said...

Not to me... Well I did say I'm poem-ignorant.